Sign in to follow this  
Rhino-ACT

HardRace Sway bars? Any good?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting sway bars for my 180sx. I'll get the r32 GTR rear bar for the cheapness and thickness and fitment, but for the front, I had been looking at the whiteline 3 way blade adjustable one but then I found this HardRace one for much cheaper including the links. I'd have to spend extra on buying new links for the whiteline because they are a weird figure 8 style one with dodgy cheap brackets that are apparently rubbish.

Here's the link for the one I found from Hardrace:

http://www.hard-race.com.au/index.ph...product_id=181

It looks much nicer than the whiteline in blue haha.

Has anybody had any experience with this brand of sway bars? I can hardly find anything on the internet and it seems like they mostly do bushings and links and only relatively recently expanded into sway bars and only for 2 or 3 cars.

It doesn't seem like something that would be difficult to make correctly, but I guess I worry that the fitment isn't good or the quality isn't there or something. They're all solid steel and probably the same grade of steel, right? And would weigh the same?

Any advice would be appreciated.

you can buy second hand if you can find a whiteline, they're not something that wears out (other than the links / bushes).

It doesn't seem like something that would be difficult to make correctly,

china ARB can be very shit, the ends are welded on rather than flattened / pressed and drilled, and the bars can be hollow and/or made from inferior metals.

often stock is better than a POS china ARB

I have their caster arms and they are pretty decent. Cant comment on the sway bars but the build quality of the caster arms is holding up against daily driving pretty well.

I have the sway bars but not fitted.

Can confirm they are spring steel and look well made. If you want some better photos let me know.

I still have some china sway bars lying around that wouldn't fit.

you can buy second hand if you can find a whiteline, they're not something that wears out (other than the links / bushes).

It doesn't seem like something that would be difficult to make correctly,

china ARB can be very shit, the ends are welded on rather than flattened / pressed and drilled, and the bars can be hollow and/or made from inferior metals.

often stock is better than a POS china ARB

It's pretty hard to find second hand whiteline bars though. Most people keep them on.

But I'd agree that I'd be happy to use a used one, which is why I bought a used rear r32 GTR one.

Hmm, yeah I'm a little worried that the welds aren't up to par and it's hollow or made from inferior metals or shaped to be weak in a certain area or not fitting well.

They look pretty decent in the photos though, and they have an office in sydney and might be an Aussie company? Not sure. Could still just be rebranded china spec I guess.

I have their caster arms and they are pretty decent. Cant comment on the sway bars but the build quality of the caster arms is holding up against daily driving pretty well.

Thanks for that. I do find some good reviews of some of their stuff and I haven't really heard anything bad about them, so their quality generally seems to be good for parts and that's making me think they might be good. I emailed them and justjap, who also sell their stuff, and asked if the bars are hollow or solid.

I have the sway bars but not fitted.

Can confirm they are spring steel and look well made. If you want some better photos let me know.

I still have some china sway bars lying around that wouldn't fit.

Great, so they seem sturdy and the welds look good and it doesn't look like they're flat and weak in certain areas?

Do they sound hollow or solid?

Let me know how they go please.

Shame about the china ones not fitting. They just don't line up at all? Do the hardrace ones look much better?

if you're using a R32 GT-R rear with a solid front 28mm you're going to be in for a treat.. will be understeer super max 200 :)

and $245? fuark that.. might as well go whiteline... tried/tested/fits/proven etc...

not to mention if you hit up forum sponsors on SAU you can get them cheaper than other places

No welds, spring steel, not hollow.

• Upvote 1

No welds, spring steel, not hollow.

Thanks. I contacted HardRace themselves and they said they are solid, hot formed, and heat treated. So that sounds pretty good indeed.

if you're using a R32 GT-R rear with a solid front 28mm you're going to be in for a treat.. will be understeer super max 200 :)

and $245? fuark that.. might as well go whiteline... tried/tested/fits/proven etc...

not to mention if you hit up forum sponsors on SAU you can get them cheaper than other places

The whiteline one is 27mm, so not that different, and i'd definitely not use the hardest of the 3 settings. Maybe the middle one or the lowest one if it's too understeery. I was under the impression that the GTR rear one is quite hard because it is 24mm (compared to 20 or 22 for the whiteline and only 17 stock) and although it's not solid, I've heard that it's 95% as strong as a solid one, so that makes it about the same as the whiteline for stiffness. The fronts are $100 cheaper than the whitelines though. They include the bushes and some proper links, unlike the whiteline links which I'd have to replace. The whiteline proper links are $180 alone by themselves, but I found you can use mazda 3 ones for only $50 or something. But still, it's a very big price difference for something that's sounding to be just as good and with better links.

I'm fairly convinced to try HardRace now. Worst case, at least I get to give feedback to the rest of you if they're rubbish or not haha. I'll just have to wait until next thursday to buy them now. The quality of their other products seems quite decent. I'll definitely try the middle setting though on the front.

Call them or email them to make sure they are in stock before you pay, don't go off the website.

Otherwise pretty good to deal with.

sounds good - give us a review :)

In saying that, I will be getting Hardrace castor rods & rear camber arms when the time is right.

caster rods are great.

they are identical to factory with the rubber bushing rather than a rose joint, and have the adjustment in the middle rather than at the end.

heaps less noise and not going to flog out after a few potholes.

I'm currently running whiteline press one bushes with the stock arms.. problem is, it limited adjustability especially with a car that has 500 000 kms on it (wound back by importer, wound back by dealer, wound back by salesmen, wound back by 1st Aussie owner, wound back by 2nd Aussie owner, wound back by 3rd Aussie owner).

Clock actually says 142 000 km - I call bullshit.. fuark I've got off topic again.

im scared to look up what my car was deregistered with in japan.

I am first owner in aus so i only have the dodgy russian importer to blame.

You can purchase deregistration forms through third party companies. Some Facebook pages do them, few people on sau etc.

im running all hardrace suspension in my s14 including their swaybars, front and rear

i got the non adjustable ones before the adjustable version came into production i think, been driving with it for over a year and yes they are everything any good sway bar is plus it comes with links so you dont have to buy them and you can piss off your old stock ones

out on the track it made a difference from stock (non adjustable version) so yes i can say it does work.

because i got the front and rear, the car handles the same as stock, it does not oversteer or understeer where it shouldn't, it feels very much like stock but with less roll then stock, e.g cornering speed of +100kmph with quick direction changes, noticeably less body roll,

I'll upgrade to the adjustable ones soon when i have spare cash laying around for more specific setup for the car and self testing i guess

Edited by AE86557

Thanks for that tip AE86557, they're really sounding like the best value around for decent sway bars with links. I'm sold on them. One week until pay day when I can afford to buy them haha.