Sign in to follow this  
saad

Changed to BM50 and brakes are worse?

Hey Guys

My car runs R32 GTS-T brakes front and rear, and was running thr BM44 BMC - I assume it was the stock 180sx one.

I did an upgrade on the brakes recently, braided lines, new pads and rotors, and found a Z32 BM50 NON-ABS on eBay, hoping to firm up the brake pedal.

However, now, the brake pedal is actually worse, its a lot softer, and the first 80% of travel there is almost no braking force, then the last 20-25% or so, you have all the force. Not a fan at all, would really prefer a stiff brake pedal like in modern cars. I though changing to a BM50 would make it stiffer!

Z32 and R32 brakes are basically the same, and the proportioning is the same too, so dont think it could be that.

Any thoghts? And yep, they've been bled.

Did you bench bleed the bmc? I didn't do this once and had the same level of brakes as you describe.

I also noticed this nifty invention last night, easy to make and will save you a lot of mess. Down the bottom of the page, bench bleed setup.

http://www.lukekailburn.com/boostermc.html

Yep it was bench bled before install. So the pedal basically goes all the way down before braking.

Master cyclinder shot? It was secondhand, and wasn't installed for about a year after purchase, so could the seals have dried up?

Worth getting a HFM BM57?

Edited by saad

Yep it was bench bled before install. So the pedal basically goes all the way down before braking.

Master cyclinder shot? It was secondhand, and wasn't installed for about a year after purchase, so could the seals have dried up?

Worth getting a HFM BM57?

I'd be replacing the seals on the Nissan item well before buying a new aftermarket one.

I was more talking about the pedal feel of the BM57 etc.

Will rebuild my one and report back!

Sounds like air in the lines still. How much did you bleed it in the car? I used a quarter of a bottle on each caliper to make sure the air was out.

I'm using a Holfords BM57, I've had no issues with it.

Deff sounds like air in lines some where i ran bm50 with skyline brakes and braided lines on my 180 pedal was firm

I have the same thing.

S15 brakes with BM50.

I had brakes and BMC installed at the same time, bought the BMC off ebay used.

pedal was soft but one pump and it goes good.

upgraded to braided lines all round, full bleed done in a workshop, still needs one pump.

must be the cylinder wasnt bled before install.