Sign in to follow this  
BEV5TA

Intake Question.

Hey Fellas,

Wanting a 3" custom intake made up on my stock mani t28 on my s13. Should I have a nipple made so I can connect my catch can into the intake or how it is is with the breather is fine? (See Pic Below).

Also, How much roughly would a shop charged to do so?

f107Aqc.jpg

What's the need of having that front catch can when they still have the standard catch can installed. That hose going from the rocker cover to the front catch can should be connected to the inlet. A vacuum is ideal for the rocker cover to assist with reliving pressure.

Ideally if using a front catch can like picture one outlet should be going to vacuum source.

Personally I never knew there was a standard Catch can. Are you referring to the black box that sits above the turbo?

yes thats an air/oil separator, below that is the crank case vent.

you should have a solid intake pipe and not a long length of silicon, as apart from diameter, a full length of silicon is no better than the stock item.

solid intake pipe with no fittings would be about $50-$100 in stainless. or rustle up some old intercooler piping and find a 3" section that has bends similar to what you require and get cutting.

The whole idea of going a solid intake pipe is that it won't collapse like rubber when your turbo is sucking in large amounts of air resulting in a loss of power. I bought mine from GKTech but unfortunately I don't think they do them any more.

Non VCT engines (S13) had a catch can where as VCT engines (S14/15) didn't due to the rocker covers having better internal baffling allowing for the elimination of a catch can.

Thanks guys! Makes more sense. Yeah the silicone intake was just to get it running.

You you really need to have the vacuum for it to be effective and invest in an air oil separator as the catch can won't do shit.