Sign in to follow this  
PsyberWolf

Cleaning new intercooler?

Hi All,

Ended up going the blitz SE from Just Jap for my 180 and received it today and noticed that the pipes have a silver/white dusty stuff in them. I was wondering if this is normal and how to/if i need to clean it? and if so what do i use?. lots of sites give info on how to clean dirty ones (brake cleaner, degreaser, distilled water etc), but cant find anything on this. I figure it will need to be rubbed with something also (paper towel?), tried rubbing off some with my finger and had to give it a bit of force.

Thanks,

I bought the same kit and same thing had white shit and metal particles all through it, I just sprayed it all with carby cleaner

White vinegar is good for cleaning alloy. I used it inside my plazmaman cooler.

I bought the same kit and same thing had white shit and metal particles all through it, I just sprayed it all with carby cleaner

did it get it all out? did you rinse it afterwards?

i have a new (new for me; secondhand tho) cooler kit on the way..... and i am planning on getting it powdercoated. Will White vinegar / carby cleaner be good enough to prep it; or will i need something stronger?

Cooler is not painted (raw alloy) but i want to make sure its all cheap and shiny prior to powdercoating

Any thought?

Not sure about "cheap and shiny", but I personally wouldn't even bother powdercoating an intercooler, since black spray paint is pretty rock-solid. Given all the stone chips to which it will inevitably be subjected, being able to touch-up the colour yourself is a huge boon.

Irrespective, I would expect that cleaning the outside with Meth would suffice, then clean off any residue with soap and water. Use whatever you like on the inside, since that shouldn't be powdercoated anyway. Be sure to sand down any burrs/chips in the alloy prior to cleaning.

I wouldn't be powdercoating the core.

Also only needs to be cleaned with prepsol, but carby cleaner and a quick wipe will be fine

Bunnings has a really nice matte black metal paint. Pot belly black or something.

its a little fragile and marks easily if you rub it but it has a great finish.

Wash it with water to flush out the crap (volume advantage here), then use cheap as shit supercheap special degreaser and go nuts on the core.

Do this all on a hot day, and leave the core in the sun to dry.

Not sure about "cheap and shiny", but I personally wouldn't even bother powdercoating an intercooler, since black spray paint is pretty rock-solid. Given all the stone chips to which it will inevitably be subjected, being able to touch-up the colour yourself is a huge boon.

Irrespective, I would expect that cleaning the outside with Meth would suffice, then clean off any residue with soap and water. Use whatever you like on the inside, since that shouldn't be powdercoated anyway. Be sure to sand down any burrs/chips in the alloy prior to cleaning.

my bad that should have read 'clean and shiny'

Thanks for the details Johnnilicte, Varvs and pmod

Edited by bufforah

I wouldn't be powdercoating the core.

Also only needs to be cleaned with prepsol, but carby cleaner and a quick wipe will be fine

I have heard mix responses about powdercoating the core; can you outline why you would not do it?

Just to clarify - i am not looking for some magical reduction in temps by getting it coloured black; it is purely to avoid notice as best as i can (until i can source a stock airbox).

Praise the Vic 1 intake mode rule.

Edited by bufforah

Clean out with brake clean then blow compressed air through it that will leave it all dry inside and clean

yep. its quite durable, (I said fragile before but wasnt the best word) but if something rubs it (say a finger nail or plastic fitting or similar) it will leave behind a mark almost like a chalk board.

so i used brake cleaner, flush with water, degreaser, flush with water and throttle body cleaner, flush with water. hopefully all 3 can work thier magic. ive tried it on one pipe so far and noticed some small bits fall out. and than found this....not happy, that could of ended up in my engine.

intercooler.JPG

Picking up intercooler tonight .... so i will post up what i end up doing

thanks all for advice/ recommendations

ps. sorry to hijack post

On my Type X too, you cant even see the intercooler. it just looks like the radiator and the black grilles on the side do a job of hiding the hose clamps.