Sign in to follow this  
Tim Sil80

Show us your engine bay (guys running low mount HyperGear turbos) in S13's

Just wondering if some blokes running HyperGear turbos on their SR'S using standard manifolds could post some pictures of how their cooler piping is running to the turbo. Just trying to get an idea of how i'm going to hook everything up with my new turbo.

it'd look the same as any turbo that has the same inlet and outlet as you do.

How when the outlet on the compressor housing doesn't face upward like the T28 ???

How it is currently with the T28 and plazmaman cooler kit.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Weld a mandrel bent 90 in place of the silicone, and a cast 90 at the bottom. Connect the cast 90 with a short silicone straight pipe.

I will also add that iirc the turbo is a tight fit in original form, so welding a 90 to it might be a mistake. I believe that's why I decided it was best to weld the cast piece to the hotpipe instead. I'm referring to installing the turbo attached to the manifold as being a tight fit.

Might get my fabricator mate to weld a 90 degree alloy bend facing downwards on the hot pipe, and then run a silicone 90 degree reducer off the turbo housing to the hot pipe like this.

image.png

How when the outlet on the compressor housing doesn't face upward like the T28 ???

The T28 uses the oem bolt on snout that gives you the upward pointing pipe. you replace that with a 90 degree silicon bend, and your FMIC piping should mate up to it.

my GTX turbo has a standard outlet and I just put a 90 degree elbow on it to feed into the FMIC piping.

Here's mine, I'm using the stock s15 hotpipe atm because I had a problem with the built in bov of my aftermarket pipe, I held it up for reference anyway.

You need like a 45 degree bend on the end of your pipe into a 90 degree silicon joiner

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Coastie

Just weld a 90 to yours. Surely will match up to what you have

I would rather change the piping than weld an elbow onto the compressor housing.

Buy a 90 degree alloy bend, add 2x straight pieces of silicone.

Spend the rest on strippers.

I recommend these strippers.

STA096230_A.JPG

...and a 90 degree silicone joiner does the job, not sure how you would run into difficulties fitting it.

they do degrade after sometime (if you're constantly tracking it like myself) and split due to manifold heat & also turbo outlet heat.

^ This. There's also the issue of pressure concentration at the bend. Unless you have a blockage, a straight piece of thick silicone won't likely fail at non-insane levels of boost. I use some little silicone tubes to connect cut pieces of turbo water/oil hardlines, and they have not melted or failed. However the air exiting the compressor is hitting the wall of the 90 degree, then making a hard turn. From memory, some people have had their 90s split at the wall of the turn due to the concentrated pressure and heat.