Sign in to follow this  
cawkLUVA

200rwkw -> 250rwkw

Hi guys, after some first hand experience from people that have gone from around 200rwkw with T28 and standard cams to approx 250rwkw. Thinking about upgrading to a ATR28SS15 and cams then getting a retune (other supporting mods already done). What have peoples experiences been with doing similar upgrades, does it add a significant amount of lag? Is the power hugely noticeable? Should I just stay with the T28 for street use?

poncams (step 1) and gtx 2867 and 22psi boost +

or procams (step 2) + VCT gear and solenoid. springs, RAS.

along side an ecu with bigger afm or new ecu with map.

fuel pump

injectors

front mount

3" exhuast.

usual bolt on mods.

allow for 5k+ to upgrade everything properly. assuming you aint done shit all other than exhaust and pod filter.

Yep, intake, 3" exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, Z32 AFM, FMIC, bov mod and nistune @ 14psi 200rwkw has already been done.

What sort of fuel are you looking to run pump 98 or e85. That will determine what size turbo to use. For example a gtx2863 will get you the power you want on e85, whilst still being a very responsive setup. Or as suggested the 2867 will do 250kw on pump 98, but you will lose a bit of low down response.

fuel pump

injectors

front mount

3" exhuast.

usual bolt on mods.

Did exactly that and have 252kws at the wheels :)

fuel pump

injectors

front mount

3" exhuast.

usual bolt on mods.

Did exactly that and have 252kws at the wheels smile.png

poncams or procams?

i have procams but never dyno ran it - all the mods as listed above + a few

alternator has been dieing for some time now, it f**ks with the tune/running. trying to replace it this week :)

then might run it up on the rollers

Actually have Unigroup Engineering cams, which are based off the tomei poncam

GTX2867 should spin close to 300kW on a healthy motor.. recently did a S15 with Poncams, and a GTX2867 and it make 272kW and injector DC maxed out with only 1.5bar boost.

Garbage DW300 pump let us down.. I bumped the fuel pressure to 4bar and when you come on boost it would lean out...

Pump out, Wallahbro 460 going in soon.. hopefully get 1.7/1.8 bar into the motor and see a nice 300kW :)

I'm using an SS15 with poncams and used to have an S15 T28BB on there with the factory cams. The gain in power is definitely worth it and makes a lot of difference, hardly any extra lag. Pretty responsive for the street imo.

The poncams really made the SS15 shine as with stock cams it was nowhere near as impressive up top.

Edited by RyanSD180SX

GTX2867 should spin close to 300kW on a healthy motor.. recently did a S15 with Poncams, and a GTX2867 and it make 272kW and injector DC maxed out with only 1.5bar boost.

Garbage DW300 pump let us down.. I bumped the fuel pressure to 4bar and when you come on boost it would lean out...

Pump out, Wallahbro 460 going in soon.. hopefully get 1.7/1.8 bar into the motor and see a nice 300kW :)

E85 of course.

did you do a ulp98 run?

be interesting to see the differences between Poncams and Procams...

procams f**ked my vct :(

oh good i dont feel so bad about hte procams now lol.

new VCT on the way soon too. my 22psi shows up at 3.9k spins third cog rolling on boost shitty tires.

I'll try take some timing out before it comes on boost.. maybe get the turbo to boogie earlier.. however it's sitting on an equal length 6tits inverted manifold...

some lag to be had there.. but no more tractor noise :)

Sounds like a pretty lively combo you got there then :)B)

Yeah its insanely responsive. Love it on the street. 😎

I am staying on 98 octane. Be interested to know what it will make with a forged bottom end and 26psi....maybe 270ish kws?

Do you know what psi level these run out of puff?

Edited by CRE_S14

mine spins up 22psi by 3900 certainly faster than the stock t28 is all aspects.

28 odd psi but without looking at the compressor map who knows. could most probably be more.

i know the bigger 35x series turbos do 35psi easy...... right fuel.

hrmm jhonny, might have to look at taking a bit of timing out to make it a bit more lively down low. she can be boggy.

#backyard tuner lol

If the car is going to get driven on the street alot, you're really going to feel the lag going from the T28 to a larger turbo like the SS1.5 or 2863+.

Johnny's tuned my car since it's been on the stock turbo 98 (195kW), then e85 (223kW) and now GTX2867 (272kW+).

I loved the T28 E85 setup, if i was going to build a street S15 I'd just add poncams into the equation and happy days :)

Also don't forget to think about your gearbox if you're aiming for 250+

depending on how your drive 250rwkw should be fine with the standard box, just dont go kicking the clutch too much haha

If you're keen on a hypergear turbo (can't beat them for price and quality) and you're chasing 250kw id go with the Ss2, I've seen 270kw made with an Ss1.5 on e85 on 22psi but you'd need the right mods, I've got the Ss2 which can easily make 250kw on 20psi or less depending how free flow your system is, it's not overly laggy for street driving in my opinion

Ss2 on a vct sr20 drive good for the street

Ss1.5 for a non vct sr20 for the street

Awesome, looks like I'll be putting in poncams then :). From what I've read, there seems to be very mixed opinions about the need to add springs as well. Are there any workshops in VIC that can put springs in without taking off the head? I'm sticking with 98 for the convenience for now. I've got an S14 5 speed in it at the moment.

Awesome, looks like I'll be putting in poncams then :). From what I've read, there seems to be very mixed opinions about the need to add springs as well. Are there any workshops in VIC that can put springs in without taking off the head? I'm sticking with 98 for the convenience for now. I've got an S14 5 speed in it at the moment.

I've got poncams with stock springs and haven't had any issues, my tuner said they were recommended but not necessary haha, just can't rev it higher than the stock limit

Sounds like a pretty lively combo you got there then :)B)

Yeah its insanely responsive. Love it on the street.

I am staying on 98 octane. Be interested to know what it will make with a forged bottom end and 26psi....maybe 270ish kws?

Do you know what psi level these run out of puff?

hard to say but at 27psi the boost was flat and it was still making power.. albeit we ran out fuel and AFRs were up 12.7 LOL...

Haha ok.

Well I'll find out for myself later down the track.

Either that or i jump to a T3 frame GTX(30)67