Sign in to follow this  
Als

Sr20 sumps

So I'm slowly setting up my car for track work and looking to make it as reliable as possible, next mod, is of course a sump upgrade.

I've been reading up on various threads on NS but unfortunately some are 4+ years old and haven't really found any solid recommendation on what sump to get.

So looking for some upto date info on what is decent quality sump that fits nicely and isn't prone to leaking due to poor shitty design, like most ebay ones.

I had a look at greddy, moroso and tomei. All seemed to have the positives and negatives.

After speaking to my engine builder I went with Aeroflow on mine.

I had a look at greddy, moroso and tomei. All seemed to have the positives and negatives.

moroso and tomei are both sheet metal

moroso alloy sheet metal

tomei stainless shit metal

Aeroflow alloy sheet metal

greddy cast

most of the ebay copy ones are made from cast alloy and very poor grade casting as well

moroso alloy sheet metal

greddy cast

most of the ebay copy ones are made from cast alloy and very poor grade casting as well

Good to know :) I heard moroso had fitment issues so steered clear at the time I bought mine.

moroso alloy sheet metal

greddy cast

Good to know smile.png I heard moroso had fitment issues so steered clear at the time I bought mine.

they are exactly the same as the aeroflow sump you have, wouldn't surprise me if they were made by the same company

some sweat shop in china with some poor china men welding them all together for peanuts

I've got an HFM one. Regret buying it as the mounting face is warped. Can be fixed but is pretty poor.

May fork out for a moroso one or Aeroflow one.

Was considering the moroso sump, just wasn't sure on quality, will have to add the tomei one just cost is really putting me off.

Anyone got experience with the midnight mods one?

Was considering the moroso sump, just wasn't sure on quality, will have to add the tomei one just cost is really putting me off.

Anyone got experience with the midnight mods one?

moroso is a good brand you won't have any problems with it

Midnight mods is cast

It's a copy of the greddy item that you find on eBay

His are probably the better quality ones of the eBay range tho

I'll go with aero flow , moroso or tomei

Well since there is a special on the aeroflow sump, I might as well go for that.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it

I would put Moroso at the top of the list over any of the Jap guys.

Nah tomei got the design right, don't go hfm tho. Also, throw the bolts in the bin and get studs and you won't strip the thread in your alloy upper sump.

A different option to what commonly gets recommended on this forum is the Canton racing sr20 sump out of the U.S. Possibly the best designed offering short of a dry sump??

My previous sump was genuine greddy for many years, it worked well, no issues, no leaks, no weeps, no bs, it just works.

For world time attack I'm using canton now, it also has a few problems with it but it has the best baffling of all... which is what the sr20s need.

ARC is another one I had but that had no baffling so I wouldn't go ARC again.

And of course image uploads on this forum doesn't work........ I'll be posting it on instagram if you wanna check it out along with the rest of the build @AlphaOmegaRacing

Where are you guys sourcing the Canton oil pan from and how much? Looking at possibly changing from my ARC pan since iv gone 2.35L SR VE

And of course image uploads on this forum doesn't work........ I'll be posting it on instagram if you wanna check it out along with the rest of the build @AlphaOmegaRacing

I'm interested in seeing the pics of it installed. Can the install of the Canton be done with the engine in the car? (S15)

I'm interested in seeing the pics of it installed. Can the install of the Canton be done with the engine in the car? (S15)

Yes they can be installed with the engine in the car. See link.

http://speed.academy/install-sr20det-canton-racing-oil-pan-how-to/

As for where to source them, just go for which ever online store has the best deal with international shipping. There are some canton distributors in oz but they seem to only carry the v8 sumps, maybe enquire with them.

Ended up purchasing an aeroflow sump, will keep this post updated once I receive it and install it

I bought a HFM sump. Fitted first time and leaked through spot missed on inside weld. I pulled it off an tacked it with mig, retty sure it still leaks a bit. Could be warped, but didnt check...

i fitted an aeroflow one off fleebay last week. It fits really well and no leaks at all from a 25k test drive.

13987850_10210585951624502_1261136591_o_zpsr0enmy8q.jpg

Hfm - ive had to rewelded all welds twice. Took a heap of silastic to seal agaisnt block. Gave up fixing,letting it weep.

Steer clear.

• Upvote 1

Where are you guys sourcing the Canton oil pan from and how much? Looking at possibly changing from my ARC pan since iv gone 2.35L SR VE

I got mine off our American supplier, it wasn't cheap but I needed it fast for WTAC, if you don't need it ASAP then shop around ebay or a few online stores.

Yep can be installed with the motor in the car like all the other sumps :) Not sure why but a number of bolts didn't fit and the flange was slightly warped, but I'm hoping the gasket goo will keep all the oil on the inside.

If you don't wanna eff around and have headaches then get a genuine Trust/Greddy unit; the gold standard :)

Thanks Mate. I had a Greddy copy on the last SR and it leaked. Might just go the Genuine Greddy and be done with it.