Sign in to follow this  

D1 Breather tank installation review

Breather tanks are used to bleed radiator fluid from air created due to hot spots in the engine,not just to bleed air, well thats my understanding of it, this is more of an installating guide.

D1 breather tanks are one of the cheapest breather tanks you can get, the most complete kit I have seen comes from ARC, other similar breather tanks to D1 are Greddy and Sard.

The first thing I noticed on the package was all the japanese writing but its really made in..

29032010284.jpg

The picture on the front package is a bit misleading, 3 welded tubes when in fact its two welded and the other highest pipe bolted on which snapped off like a twig, Sonny can weld that back on.

Make sure you buy at least two metres of hose because it hardly comes with enough.

Its also missing two clamps.

The tank needs to be installed at the highest point of the cooling system, the kit comes with two different size non-pressure caps for the radiator.

top hose - Reservoir tank (some people dont run this but its recommend if you have or get gasket problems) the pipe on mine snapped off.

middle hose- Bleed valve (Optional IF radiator sits higher than the bleed valve)

lower hose - Radiator (non pressure cap needs to be installed or wont work.

Bottom hose - Return to the radiator

If you have a aluminium radiator I recommend welding a fitting than using a water temp sensor block on the inlet hose.

The bleed valve hole can be bored out to 1/8 pt for a fitting to be used, I couldn't find any fittings for the factory thread but I think Greddy sell them.

29032010288.jpg

Update:I did a little test with the thermos switched off.

Running both lines (radiator and water outlet) causes a lot of coolant to by-pass the radiator,an example without the breather tank on 25degree day if I rev the engine to 2500rpm (thermos off) temps would start to drop,this is not the case with the tank, only when the thermos switch on they will start to drop.

I removed the line going to the water outlet and temps improved slightly. I shouldn't really bother as the radiator sits higher than the outlet, in any case if you are going to run one you might want to use a fitting that you can drill a tiny hole.

Im yet to take it to the track but from I can see there are a lot of air bubbles due to heat and the tank does a fine job in picking these air pockets.

That's a good writeup LAZY

to be honest I never knew these existed! How well do they work?

I'm assuming that air and coolant and air fills up in this resevior, air goes up top, water goes down and into the overflow bottle?

But I don't get how it would bleed the air out?

I have not tested it yet but from what I read fluid swirls, like flushing a toilet lol greating a vaccum separating coolant and air.

Stolen of another thread.

IMG_4913.jpg

Hmmm creating a vaccum? But the pressure from the head and from the radiator? Wouldn't it just cause pressure? Then just push everything through the bottom port to the overflow?

I'm confused lol

^^^Pressure from the water pump gears causes any coolant from the bottom of the breather tank to be sucked out (depending which country your from will swirl clock and counter clockwise) dry and at the same time more coolant being pushed into the tank from the radiator and or water outlet which being the highest point of the engine trap any air coming from the cooling system

i just bought a greddy swirl pot. will hopefully get around to putting it in over the next few days and let you know how it goes.

Completly forgot about this thread oops.

Update:- I have since replaced those hoses with rubber lines, they are smaller in diameter and it will not effect how much air it bleeds, water temps have improved at the track (no oil cooler), what caught my eye at superlap was all the jap cars were running one.

i had my 1j up to 125 degrees and it held up :lol: running a 1.5 bar cap IIRC

the pos rubber hoses that came with it fell to bits on the dyno

From what I've been told by mechanics and tuners these are absolute wank factor.

Properly bleed your coolant system and you will be fine.

:lol: and how come manufacturers all run a similar setup now? :doh:

Maybe wank factor sells cars? :lol:

If everyone believed all the "All knowing tuners" then no-one would do anything to their cars.

is this thing to separate the air if the coolant boils ? and isnt the swirl dependent on the swirl pot configuration rather than location on the planet.. :P if the entry is on the left it will spin clockwise.. if it is on the right it will spin anti clockwise.. a properly bled cooling system should never get air in it if there is no leaks and that the overflow is properly filled and connected.. and the radiator cap is in good order..

Yes, it traps air, it can not be low mounted.I don't think that the configuration makes a difference, it relies on the laws of thermodynamics so if there's coolant going in from the top and coming out from the bottom then just like unplugging a drain it should swirl, and it does trap air, when I remove the cap when the engine is cold I can ear the pressurized air escape, sounds like opening a can of coke.

Sign in to follow this