Sign in to follow this  
CANDYMAN

No more Soundwave for Adelaide

That sucks, Soundwave was always a good time for me to travel back to Adelaide to see the folks & friends. Ah well, Sydney is only 3 hours down the road for me.

yep i got alot of family in Sydney so i will be heading there to if this is the final word hoping its not tho

I work for the council, I'm completely against their decision to charge more rent for Bonython and ask for a percentage of each ticket sold.

I'll be heading to Sydney from now on, providing the line up sufficient.

I work for the council, I'm completely against their decision to charge more rent for Bonython and ask for a percentage of each ticket sold.

I'll be heading to Sydney from now on, providing the line up sufficient.

its freaking insane what is going on they have got a huge crowed every year, i guess just a case of council being greedy, not to much into the dance scene anymore but i hope Soundwave is not the only festival facing this crazy shiz 85% of the bands that come for Soundwave would never come to Adelaide if it was not for this festival

Well I think AJ may have been talking a bit of shit.

Rip It Up link

Adelaide City Council hits back over Soundwave claims

Adelaide City Council has responded to the claims made yesterday by Soundwave organisers that the festival would not be able to continue in Adelaide due to a changed fee structure for events in the parklands.

The changes to the structure mean that events, including music festivals, will have to pay the same fees on set-up and pack-down days as they would on the event day itself. According to Soundwave, the ACC are also taking an increased percentage of each ticket sold for the festival.

Councillor Stephen Yarwood said the reason for the changes was to encourage event organisers to be more efficient on bump-in and bump-out days.

"If we provide a single fee there's no incentive for people to do it quickly and in fact often they take days to do something they might only do in a day," Mr Yarwood said. "So the fee structure's designed to make it so that people move in quicker and move out quicker, which means that more people have access to the parklands over a longer period of time.

"Our fee structure's also meant to reflect the full cost of using and rehabilitating the parklands. You can imagine that when thousands of people use certain areas of the parklands there'll be cigarette butts, or rubbish, or damaged grass and council has to rehabilitate that. It's about paying a fair price because obviously the rate payers shouldn't have to fork out money to cover any rehabilitation that a private enterprise inflicts on the parklands."

Mr Yarwood, the second-youngest councillor in the ACC and self-professed "big music fan", insisted the changes were only in the preliminary stages of discussion and nothing has been implemented yet.

He was also quick to point out that the ACC will be engaging event organisers about the proposed changes and he would actively be seeking out a compromise to the situation with Soundwave.

"I'm not all for raising the fees to the point where (event organisers) don't use them. I want the parklands to be used for these events. I want to bring people in so they can enjoy themselves. I'm a keen supporter of music and the arts so I'll be doing what I can to strike an acceptable balance.

"We're actually doing more events and more music events like this in the parklands than have been done ever in the history of Adelaide. So to have this one thing and say that we're not pro-music in the parklands would be silly."

Organisers for Soundwave disagree, saying the increased fees will make it too expensive to run the event in its current location at Bonython Park.

"It just takes way too much money out of the bottom line of the festival to make it even remotely viable (and) with the amount of international acts we have, we have a pretty thin bottom line anyway. So any costs that come into the event of that magnitude we have to take very very seriously," publicist Chris O'Brien said yesterday.

"We've queried if we can do it at the Showgrounds or things like that, and that's obviously where the Big Day Out is and they have an exclusion zone in their contract.

"It's early days but it's not looking great at the moment."

With the fee changes still yet to be implemented and negotiations set to take place between the two parties later this month, it seems that Soundwave are a little hasty in declaring "the end" of the Adelaide leg of the festival, as head organiser A.J. Maddah did yesterday.

However, with the fee changes affecting all events in the parklands, it remains to be seen whether other festivals will be hamstrung by the increased prices as well.

I'll be interested the final result.

Sounds like AJ was trying to pressure them not to apply the BS fee to Soundwave. It's all well and good to want events to pack up and move on as quick as possible but something like Soundwave would take 3-5 days from start to stop, so the organisers would be paying a SHITLOAD more money with the new fee structure. No wonder AJ doesn't like the idea. He has to pay more for the same amount of time and give up some of the ticket money.

Yeah it's bullshit. Adelaide City Council are jews.

There is a rumor floating around that apparently has come from a solid source that they have signed soundwaves 2011 for Adelaide to the showgrounds, i will believe it when i see it hoping its true tho.

AJ Maddah talking bullshit? No way!

Anyway I hope it survives, I love my annual Adelaide Soundwave trip.

we love sounds was changed to showgrounds (due to weather i think) but maybe this a new trend. perhaps it's cheaper there and so more and more festivals may go there if the jewish council of adelaide keep it up

I havent said shit!

...and you wonder why Adelaide lost the Grand Prix :ph34r:

I think Adelaide has become a bit saturated with music festivals like this. I mean we aren't a huge city, there is only so many events we can support.

I think Adelaide has become a bit saturated with music festivals like this. I mean we aren't a huge city, there is only so many events we can support.

I dont think there is anything like this event, if Adelaide it is saturated by any festivals it would be all those faggy dance festivals, there is almost one on every month or 2, the closest thing to soundwaves is the big day out and in my opinion they have been failing to get any decent music close to soundwaves line ups for a fair few years now.