Sign in to follow this  
Yo_Mang

Heater Stuck On Hot: How To Manually Fix It

So if your climate control is stuck on hot, there is 2 common reasons why: either your blend door is broken, or your blend door motor is broken. You might be able to find these parts from someone parting out an S13, but they are a bit tricky due to their position to put in and also takes alot longer than this method. This method will show you how to install an in line heater tap for about $20. This means that you will have a valve that controls the amount of coolant going to your heater core - much like the standard setup, only you will have to change it manually. It really isn't a problem seeing as you will usually want it on hot in winter, and cold in summer.

First up, heres a photo of the peices I used. From memory they are 3/4" (I originally got the wrong size, 5/8" I think but they gladly swapped them back over). If you tell them you need to make an in line heater tap they should be able to show you the parts.

img0185k.jpg

Just a photo of the tap, its juts a ball joint type one

img0186g.jpg

Firstly, when I got the wrong size the shop was closed and I was sick of driving in a boiling car so I just bypassed the hear core all together so it would always be cool. This would be ok if I never wanted to use the heater but obviously I will want to use it in winter.

This photo is to show the location and what pipes I connected to bypass the heater core. The pipes are the one in about the middle just to the right

img0189p.jpg

Heres a close up of the straight bypass

img0190n.jpgimg0191m.jpg

I'm going to try and explain where they originally went and where I plugged them. Look in the 2nd close up. Originally, the 2 rubber pipes that are connected with the middle metal peice are not together. If I pulled them apart, the right hand side one would connect with the metal peice to the top rubber pipe. The left hand side one would connect to the plastic nipple thing that you can see on the firewall. In the photo, the rubber pipe that is unplugged and the plastic nipple on the firewall are the send and return for the heater core. This just cuts the coolant flow to the core.So, to install a heater tap it is alot easier than doing this (which was a really fiddly job). Put all the tap pieces together and use plumbers tape on the screw part to make sure its got a good seal.Since yours hasn't been played with, just find the 2 hoses that are connected by the metal piece. Undo the clamps and remove that metal piece, put the tap in its place and your done! Make sure you use new clamps too. Coolant will most likely spill out too so be ready for that. Now you have control over weather coolant does or doesn't flow to your heater core!

img0196n.jpgimg0195j.jpg

Happy Climate Controlling!

Cheers

Blake

how much will u charge if i want u to do it for me... :rolleyes:

my hands is too big !!

im sure this would work over a few different cars.. while i drive hot air constantly comes out of my gtr, i just open the windows but if i get a 40 degree day im gonna be sweating like a whore

Yeh I'm pretty certain it would work for most, if not all the Skyline and Silvia range, maybe stopping at R34. I can't be certain but it should be very similar. It should be a pretty generic thing, just differing on which lines are in and out etc

And if you wan't me to do it you'd have to be in Wagga haha wouldn't travel to do it. A 6 pack would be plenty :P

good write up man but isnt the most common cause that your ambient temp sensor is f'd? happens a lot on R32 skylines..

maybe include that in your guide?

but yeah nice work :)

Sign in to follow this