Sign in to follow this  
munners91

What headphone do you use?

I'm I'm the lookout for new headphones myself. I've been told the beats by guetta are decent and the sennys are the best bet. Anything new on the market these days that I should have a look at?

Ps this is for club use so it will need to be very durable.

Has anyone had phonak musicians earplugs moulded to their ears?

Or a similar brand?

Just got quoted $220 and trying to decide if it's worth it, seems like such a rip.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/mc5.html

old as shit but link related.

I ended up having some moulded but they're not earphones, just plugs for noise reduction. I think it was $240 or something, can't remember now but it's probably the best thing I could have done for myself, being a drummer. They reduce volume by 25db but you don't lose clarity. I compared them to my old earphones-as-earplugs trick since getting these things and I cringe at the thought of how much I've f**ked my ears. Earphones don't do shit, even though they have rubber surrounds. Mine are made by a company called Re-sound.

Might have to invest in some IEMS for recording/live playing now that I've been spoilt. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MDR v6's - had em for years, havnt had even one problem, i swear by em.. comfy too.

Beats by dre studios, I can't deny they are a bit over priced but they sound amazing, made me fall in love with music even more

I'm now rocking Audio Technica ESW-10. Compared to the AKG 701's i had before they are alright, obviously a smaller soundstage but the bass has more weight to it. Bass was always a complaint with the 701's but a good headamp helps a lot

Portable i picked up some Sennheiser CX175 thingies, they arent to bad. Better than the CX-300's i had

Beats by dre studios, I can't deny they are a bit overpriced but they sound amazing, made me fall in love with music even more

Fixed

I agree. Beats are very ordinary for the price!

On topic, are there any headphones which are roughly equivalent to senheiser hd25's? They sound great but I don't feel like a dj with them, they feel tacky and don't look the part

Again.... Suggestions?

Just bought TDK ST-800 headphones from JB HiFi recently; $199 down to $99 on clearance. Really happy with the sound quality, and the build quality of the headphones. They are fairly heavy though, and do get a bit uncomfortable after wearing them for a long time.

The other downside is that they come with a built in amp/eq, but it goes to sleep after 2mins of silence. So, if you are listening to a movie, or an album the built in amp is great, but it sucks if your flicking through youtube or just messing around on your pc.

Still, for dollars spent, the sound quality is amazing.

On topic, are there any headphones which are roughly equivalent to senheiser hd25's? They sound great but I don't feel like a dj with them, they feel tacky and don't look the part

Again.... Suggestions?

I have a friend who's a professional dj and a bit of a gear head and he uses Pioneer HDJ-1000s.

Re: the Dr Dre fad - Walking around the streets with headphones is just inconvenient and showy. The only thing I would want headphones for is studio monitoring.

The only thing I would want headphones for is studio monitoring.

And late night listening?

Ive only heard Beats once, they were just overblown with bass, i assumed this was what fans of Dr Dre would like and suspected that was the target market.

Lots of far superior 'phones for the same price that portray other music better, but i reckon if you love bass the Beats would fill the void. Or maybe something from Sony's 75mm driver line up?

Again.... Suggestions?

I have a friend who's a professional dj and a bit of a gear head and he uses Pioneer HDJ-1000s.

Re: the Dr Dre fad - Walking around the streets with headphones is just inconvenient and showy. The only thing I would want headphones for is studio monitoring.

I do club work every weekend also. I have been using hdj1000's for 5 years now. They are becoming really worn out now though.

Sound quality is great but aesthetics wise, have seen better days.

Beats by dre studios, I can't deny they are a bit overpriced but they sound amazing, made me fall in love with music even more

Fixed

Fixed.

Ps. I don't walk around with them on thinking im cool, they are only used in my studio for making/listening to music.

Edited by Finski

I've 'tried' to use beats for studio production. Just can't do it. Something wrong with the clarity and clipping issues

Currently have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-880s. Purchased these a while back when I had less cash and the AKG K701s were still roughly $200 dearer and I couldn't really afford them. I don't really use them for production, although they're extremely detailed they're a bit too "nice" sounding, so for that I've got Tannoy monitors. For that "oh f**k I can hear every part of my synth that's dialled in wrong" feeling

I usually run them off my Xonar Essence STX card. 880s are good enough that I'd easily be able to tell the difference if I ran the STX into a dedicated amp. They blow any sub-$1000 Sennheiser out of the water... Senns all sound papery and terrible.

K701s did sound somewhat better when I tried them out, though didn't test out anything bass-heavy. 880s are semi-open and have pretty good (if slightly conservative) bass response all the way down to pretty low frequencies. AFAIK the price is a lot closer these days so unless dubstep is the music of choice I'd go for the K701.

I have no idea what crack the Beats by Dre guys are smoking :P

Edited by Skepticism

Ps. I don't walk around with them on thinking im cool, they are only used in my studio for making/listening to music.

I went into JB for a geez and I tried to ask the guy for some help, he was like "yeah those headphones are sick, heaps of bass" or "yeah they've got plenty of bass" etc so I knew he wasn't going to be much help but it steered me away from the Dre's. You want headphones with flat response when monitoring, or else you'll set the EQ wrong for certain stereos. They did look and feel really nice though.

Incidently my mum gave me some white sony MDR XB400's as an early christmas present and they kinda pay homage to the Dre fad... just looking at the specs the impedence is lower than the senheiser hd280's I've been using, so they may be a little bit louder, which is something I need, as I am wearing my musicians earplugs underneath my headphones to reduce the volume (quick fix 'cos I don't have any proper isolation headphones).

I wanted a set of these for monitoring and tracking drums:

http://www.gk-music.com/ultraphones.htm

hmmmm. Ive heard the HDJ-1500's and 2000's are pretty much the same phone but they are apparently miles ahead of the 1000's. Really indecisive with what i want now. I do have monitors for producing but my room isnt isolated thats why i use the headphones.

Ive heard the hd-25's arent too crash hot for producing ive read so now, dont know wtf i want...

had pioneers ones sony ones etc, nothing compares to Sennheiser HD 25's most ppl i know use them they take a beating and r still kouta!

I have some Nixon ones that were given to me. My bro upgraded so I got his old ones. They are ok, but the foam makes my ears sweat a bit.

600ohm beyer dt990s at home

hifiman re0 when im out

Edited by pirate

Got myself a pair of hdj1500's today, they sound and look great. They have more solid feel and look than hdj1000's. Def worth spending extra money over hdj500 and hjd1000

http://www.monstercable.com/headphones/dna/

My sister gave me a pair of these for Christmas and I'm really impressed with them they are super comfortable and they sound amazing. Also they cut out outside noise better than all of the headphones at work.

Highly recommend them

anyone after a half decent portable headphone amp maybe check this out

Fiio E17 Alpen DAC & Headphone Amplifier + FREE Brainwavz Beta $114 Free Delivery

post-76884-0-88624000-1357129656.jpg

If you use the discount code fb2012fiver, the price comes down to AU$114, including delivery and a free pair of Branwavz Beta earphones.

ozbargains link;

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/89729

direct link;

http://www.mp4nation...phone-amplifier

these would go nicely with another deal on Amazon atm;

Audio Technica ATH-M50 $123.40 delivered

post-76884-0-22646200-1357129656_thumb.jpg

Ozbargain link

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/88071

Amazon link;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ULAP4U

Edited by squareznboxez