Sign in to follow this  
s15_clint

GT Spec Spoiler conversion

After years of decision making I finally decided to get the GT spec Spoiler. My car after all is a GT spec but it came with an R-spec (ghey) wing instead! Picked up a Black ADM GT spec wing off a fellow ns.com member (nutty) and got to work on it this morning

First things first, Cut the middle section. I used a grinder, a dremel would probably be better though, doesn't matter anyways

WP_000178.jpg

Then I finished it using Flappy-jacks sanding discs which are grinder attachments and ideal for this sort of work

WP_000180.jpg

Then I put some thin metal strips across (held to the spoiler inside simply with double sided tape) to bridge the Bog that will be used to close up the hole. Make sure the face of the metal is sanded so that the bog will stick to it (that said the bog envelops the strips anyway, its not going anywhere!)

WP_000183.jpg

First bog layer, I used K+H fibreglass putty which has heaps of fibreglass fibres in it therefore ties very well. That said it is still no good for bridging large gaps and lets just say I lost a lot of bog in the gaps between the metal strips

WP_000184.jpg

Second bog layer, same stuff just filling it up all the way to the top. That said this is simply the first layer before re-bog to fill the gaps and make smooth. This layer simply fills the voids between the metal strips

WP_000185.jpg

Sand down so that edges are smooth and no high points, apply another layer of bog. This time I used Septone Body filler which is not fibrous but is great for sanding.

WP_000186.jpg

While that bog was drying I went and drilled the holes in my boot. Because my boot previously had a spoiler I expected to be able to use the same holes so I just re-drilled through the Fibreglass I had used to cover the holes in the first place (seems like a waste doesn't it! Wing, Wingless - holes covered boot resprayed, back to wing lol!)

WP_000187.jpg

This is where I ran into problems...

WP_000189.jpg WP_000190.jpg

The pricks at Nissan decided the GT spec Spoiler had 5mm more for the mounting bolts. So I drilled more holes to suit. Bog was now dry, time to test fit

WP_000193.jpg

Sweet, fits now. Time to sand bog down. Laid another layer only in gaps and holes, let dry, sand down again. Sand with 120, 180, 320. Quick coat of matt black paint to seal it up for the time being (I plan on either painting body colour or covering with Carbon Fibre Decal)

WP_000196.jpg

Fit to boot lid and be happy :)

WP_000201.jpg WP_000203.jpg

One of the reasons I bought it, best view IMO

WP_000204.jpg

Something about seeing a decent size wing in the rear view mirror :)

Hope this helps if anyone wants to do the same thing :)

good thread mate! looks much better without the triangle brake light

Would have been better to lay down a layer of fiberglass then just coat with normal bog.... would have filled it alot easier and without as thick coat

I would have sold you mine man, already color coded! Would've given you clint rates too :P

Just got to get them side skirts on now to tie in with the aero bar

I would have sold you mine man, already color coded! Would've given you clint rates too :P

Just got to get them side skirts on now to tie in with the aero bar

I got Clint rates for this one I think (well I offered the price that I had in mind), but yeah colour coded would've been ideal haha

Would have been better to lay down a layer of fiberglass then just coat with normal bog.... would have filled it alot easier and without as thick coat

yes that is what I was intending on doing at first however I felt it needed to be more solid than that as the standard plastic is quite thick and strong. Sure I could've laid several layers, but I just used what I had. Same result anyhow :)

Sign in to follow this