Sign in to follow this  
pmod

Dashboard Removal For S13, S14, S15, 180sx

Removal of the dash is quite simple, the most complicated part being the airbag removal.

The attached PDFs explain the process, and depict how the panels are connected.

S13 owners with an airbag should refer to the information in the S14/S15 airbag removal documents.

Advice to avoid unnecessary drama:

• Disconnect positive and negative battery terminals prior to starting
  • Disconnect the airbag modules prior to removing the dash
  • S13 demister vents are very brittle. Leaving the car/dash in direct sun for a few hours may help avoid cracks by softening the plastic
  • If force is required to remove a part or panel, then a screw or plug is still attached
  • Removal of the steering wheel will make extraction of the gauge cluster much easier. Cover the column with a cloth to avoid scratching the clear plastic
  • Always push air vents from behind when removing them. Prying them out with a screwdriver can damage the dash and vents
  • Take care not to snap the S15 glovebox retention pins. This will render them useless, and they aren't a part generally found on other cars

S13 Dash Removal.pdf

S14 Dash Removal.pdf

S15 Dash Removal.pdf

S14 Airbag Removal.pdf

S15 Airbag Removal.pdf

you dont need to remove the wheel on s13 just undo all vents then tilt back an drag across the passenger side

you dont need to remove the wheel on s13 just undo all vents then tilt back an drag across the passenger side

Correct, and in no place did I state that removal was a requirement. I've done it your way before.

"Removal of the steering wheel will make extraction of the gauge cluster much easier. Cover the column with a cloth to avoid scratching the clear plastic".

To avoid misleading people referencing this, it should be noted that moving the surround and cluster to the side is not a very professional approach, as the risk of scratching the trim or vinyl is much higher. The first rule when working on interior parts is to operate in a manner that doesn't result in damaging parts that were fine before you started, so the less access you have, the more likely you are to fail. Of course if you don't give a toss about the condition of the interior, then none of that matters.

Besides, considering how little time it takes to unbolt and reinstall a steering wheel, or undo the two steering column retention bolts and sit the wheel on the chair (I can't comment on the effects to an airbag module doing it this way, so proceed with caution), you save virtually no time doing it the lazy way. In fact I find dropping the column is actually quicker than moving the parts to the side.

Edited by pmod

was just stating how i did mine

i use to gut cars day in day out, when i was a young skid doing yard work.

don't take it as an attack, your points are valid, an thx for the contribution an opinion.

I agree with both, for the 180 I'd just drag the cluster out, in my s14 because it's so tidy I'd do it the proper way, or in a customers car it would be done the proper way :)

Sign in to follow this