Sign in to follow this  
chadchook

ASI 42MM install in S15

Just doing a write up for installation of a ASI radiator, before we get haters in the forum just laying out some facts.

1. I am not a mechanic, i work in IT. As a result in this there may be some details in this how to which are not best practices or may be wrong in general. I take no responsibility for any damage to your car as a result of this guide.

2. I know ASI radiators are cheap, i paid 175 dollars delivered for the unit. Don't hate, they have a good reputation and seeing the units in person i can agree with the build quality. see image below

IMG_20111007_183016.jpg

##Painting##

If your going for the stealth look like i am you may want to paint your shiny new radiator.

-You have a few choices of how you can go about this, you can either paint the entire radiator or you can paint only the top tank, which is really the only visible section once installed.

-As for your paint selection, you can either fork out for radiator paint which is a extremely thin paint designed to transfer heat and withstand chemicals or you can go the easy option and just use caliper paint which is brake fluid resistant and can handle great heat transfer. (note: if your going to paint the entire radiator i would fork out for the radiator paint so not to clog the fins.)

Step 1. Get some med grade wet and dry paper and scuff the top tank of your radiator (making sure you leave the caps on). I wasn't too fussed on the end quality so i just ensured the polished metal had been scuffed up.

Step 2. Masking up should be an easy enough task. cover everything you dont want painted up. Set it to stand where you have access to both sides so you can hit it with some paint. (i used a plank of wood on the side of the radiator i leant against some jack stands just to ensure i didnt bend any fins)

IMG_20111007_184800.jpg

Step 3. Get some brake calliper paint and hit just the tank with thin coat, enough to cover and give a even colour.

Step 4. Let it dry for 24hrs and unmask to bask in the glory that is your newly painted radiator

IMG_20111008_123933.jpg

##Fitting the radiator##

Step 1. Jack your car up, do it safely. chock your wheels, use jack stands, push on your car without you under it, lastly don't crush yourself.

Step 2. Start taking off the required pipe work. On the drivers side you have you BOV, intake side inter-cooler pipe, your egr sensor and vacuum line.

Step 3. Look down the drivers side of the clutch fan shroud, there is a plug for your air-con fan, unplug this and continue.

IMG_20111008_121351.jpg

Step 4. Dismantling the shroud, this is probably easiest to show once removed from the car. Start on the passenger side, half way down the shroud you will find a push button and a cut-out section of the shroud. If you depress this tab and pull the strip it will pop out. now get under the car and pull this tab off the clip on the bottom of the shroud. Finally while still under the car reach up the drivers side of the shroud and press and remove the last clip. This will essentially remove bottom section of the shroud allowing it to clear the clutch fan.

IMG_20111008_141322.jpg

Step 5. on either side of the shroud, are two air diverters that run from the bottom to the top of the radiator. Removing these makes life a little easier, this can be done by unclipping these off the top tab and sliding them down which will unclip them from the bottom.

(note you can see the air guides under my hand in the above photo)

Step 6. Now that you dont have to get under crawl under the car for a while, you can start draining the coolant. this is done by undoing the drain plug on the passenger side of the radiator, and undoing the radiator cap.

(note: at this point you can go ahead and flush your coolant system, im not as i only very recently flushed it. To flush your system, drain your radiator, take off and empty your overflow bottle, take off your heater hose close to the fire wall and stick a hose down it turn your car to on, crank the heater and put the fan on full, this will push the fluid out of the heater core).

IMG_20111008_122827.jpg

Step 7. While your system is draining, undo the top two brackets holding your radiator onto the rad support. Remove the two bolts at the top that are holding your shroud to the radiator.

Step 8. Now that your system is dry you can undo the passenger side top hose, and the drivers side hose at the bottom.

Step 9. Now everything is apart your ready to remove your rad shroud. Just lift straight up and guide it past the clutch fan. You radiator will lift out even easier.

(note: if your in a hurry just lift the lot out at once)

Step 10. Have a smoke and a red bull and reflect on what you've achieved your half way there

IMG_20111008_140608.jpg

While having a break i took a picture to compare the size of the two radiators, quite the difference

IMG_20111008_141407.jpg

Step 11. if you look at the feet of your old radiator you will find some rubber feet, remove these and place them on your new radiator.

IMG_20111008_141543.jpg

Step 12. You can now slide your ASI rad back into the bay and into the locating holes.

IMG_20111008_142112.jpg

Step 13. Carefully slide your shroud back over the clutch fan, ensure that your place the passenger side down first to miss the top hose outlet. once past the clutch fan get under the car and guide the shroud into the locating tabs on the radiator. At this point you will want to put the air guides back on the sides, especially the battery side as the radiator will be touching or very close to touching. I'll explain this later.

Step 14. Put all your nuts, bolts and piping back together.

Step 15. Fill up your overflow and radiator, will take about 5 litres just in the radiator. Once the tank is full start your car with the heater on as the water rushes past it should release bubbles, continue to top up the radiator as the level drops. On the elbow that enters the engine just behind the CAS you will find a bleed valve, undo the nut slowly, just before it comes out you will notice it push air bubbles from the thread, when the tread oozes only coolant nip it back up. get it up to temperature so your thermostat opens up and repeat all the steps above. You should now have no air in your system. Put the cap on the radiator and congratulate yourself your almost done.

Step 16. The next day go check under you car for any leaking, check your fluid levels are still fine.

Step 17. Check for stray currents in your cooling system to protect your system from electrolyses. This can be done by turning on your car getting it to temperature, turning on everything that's electrical getting a multi-meter and placing one end on the negative terminal and the other end in the coolant making sure not to touch the body of the radiator. This reading should ideally be 0, anything over 0.5v's and your radiator want live much past 3 months.

The finished product

IMG_20111008_170735.jpg

IMG_20111008_170747.jpg

Nicely done ! its a top write up mate,

PS: I hate you tho, because I didn't think of spray painting the top !! and now I want to do it.. but I can not be stuffed pulling the Rad out again !!! lol

Well done.

Awesome write up mate, nice and easy steps and guide through for someone who isn't a mechanic!

Where did you get the rad from?

thanks

pm sent, for everyone else. The rads are available on ebay, i'd post a like but im sure it'll be infringing some forum rule. try searching ebay for s15 radiator and look for the picture with ASI written on it. Do not buy other random radiators, ASI has been known for good build quality for a while

bought one of the asi 42mm radiators for my S15 last week and installed it a few nights ago, un real radiator very happy with the quality and ease of installation :thumb:

highly recommend them for s15!! :thumbsup:

Does the fan shroud still fit on a 52mn radiator (clears the fan)?

Does the fan shroud still fit on a 52mn radiator (clears the fan)?

it should man i went a 42mm just because i had a mate install the same radiator in his S15 and he recommended the 42 but with that said there is enough room to easily fit the 52mm radiator :thumb:

i bought a 52mm asi radiator fit almost perfectly. Had to cut a smidgin off the corner off the battery tray and bend the ac line about 10mm and it slotted in relatively easy.

Also temps were getting up to just above 100 and now sits about 85-88

Edited by PoppinFresh1234

Cool wite up. Ive always had this in the list of things to do.

Ok. I bought a 52mm for my S15. It fits with the stock shroud.

Note: make sure the fan bolt (4x 10mm) is sitting flat. Mine wasn't sitting dead flat and the alternator belt sheered itself. Had to take everything out and start from the beginning

IMG_3902.JPG

Sign in to follow this