Sign in to follow this  
Croutonz

Install GKTECH S14a/S15 Eccentric throttle wheel

I finally installed my GKTECH Eccentric throttle wheel onto my S15 and so I figured I should do a quick D.I.Y

This is honestly one of the best "bang for your buck" modifications that I have done to the car - It extends the throttle travel in the lower rev range (under 5k) - According my my EVC 6 - where I would usually place my foot down on the pedal for 50% throttle is now read at about 38% throttle. The only downfall that took me a little while to get used to is how much throttle to use when taking off slowly in heavy traffic (I didn't use enough throttle initially and so I would occassionally get a poor take off when not paying attention - but this goes away very quickly after you get used to it).

Driving through the mountains/natio in Sydney this wheel is GREAT - it helps to rev match PERFECTLY every time. Not that I couldn't before but now it is 100% on the ball with much less effort or precision required.

This DIY takes only a few minutes and costs nothing apart from the wheel itself (and a flat washer if you like - 5c from bunnings...)

(- please excuse the poor quality pictures - they were taken in my basement and rushed before a cruise and I forgot to use flash.....)

1. Make sure the engine is off and has been allowed to cool down sufficiently - working near the intake manifold etc I don't recommend working on a hot engine as burns are very easy to get but even easier to avoid...

2. Remove the 12mm nut and spring washer securing the original throttle wheel to the throttle body.

photo 1.JPG - Here is your throttle wheel

photo 2.JPG - Here it is with the nut and spring washer removed.

3. Pull the wheel off and rotate it so that you have some slack in the throttle cable and slide the cable (with attached end pin/bit) off the wheel. It simple slides out of place horizontally - bit difficult to explain but it will pretty much just fall out of place once there is slack in the line and you'll know what I mean :)

4. Put the throttle cable into the new wheel (same as before - it just slides into place) and run the line over the top so that it sits like the original wheel.

5. Put the throttle wheel onto the throttle body as pictured below - the bolt/fitting is rectangular so make sure that the wheel is in the correct position and it will simply slide it - it is a bit of a snug fit so make sure you push it all the way down to the end of the bolt and make sure the other side sits flush on the plate.

photo 3.JPG

6. Double check that the new throttle wheel is pushed all the way into place (with the back sitting flush against the plate) and then check movement is proper and that there is no snags or anything in the line and that everything works as it should.

7. Replace the 12mm nut to fasten the new wheel into place.

I
COULD NOT
fit the nut in place with the original spring washer
- The spring washer had to be removed.

The new wheel is slightly thicker than the original wheel and so there is not sufficient thread on the bolt to hold the nut and washer securely in place. The new wheel does fit much more snug than the original wheel and there is no play, so using just the nut on it's own won't pose an issue - but if you like simply place a small flat washer behind the nut and you're done!

- NB: DO NOT overtighten this nut. The thread on the nut is made of butter and will EASY strip...

8. Double check your work and enjoy your new throttle response!

s145-trtl3.jpg

Did you torque down the throttle nut or did you just turn it 2 turns?

Also since installation what are your impressions?

I've got the s13 wheel, there's a reasonable difference. Worth the cash, and it looks clean in the bay

I installed one a couple of days ago. The change is subtle. At first I thought it had no affect. But then noticed I was nailing my heel toe down shifts way more often. Results in much smoother driving and less strain on the gearbox. Worth the money.

Tip. Do up the nut without the washer, tighten (enough to push it up tight) then remove and install with the washer.

just to chime in got the throttle wheel a fair while back and there is a slight difference after installing it. i couldnt get the washer back on and but havent had any problems since. Imo while it doesnt result in a massive change for the price and ease of install the mod is worth it

A few people have mentioned they can't get the washer on. The wheel should fit up flush against the cam that is connected to the spring, however because the fit is really tight, it doesn't.

What I did is tightened it up first with just the nut. You can see the gap between the wheel and cam close up as you tighten. Once it had pulled up hard against the cam I removed the nut and installed with the washer. I just fits OK that way.

Also don't apply too much torque. I grip my ratchet close to the socket, not up at the handle, to reduce the torque I can apply. You just want to quash the spring washer flat and then stop.

im using a different brand one on my car and its increased my throttle responce. I hated the way my engine responded before now its much better.

Neil whats your one man

Sign in to follow this