Sign in to follow this  
WPN-X7

NOOBS GUIDE TO SHIMMING NISSAN DIFFS (r200)

Sup guys and gals. this is a in progress guide to shimming a nissan r200 diff.

There are pics to accompany this and ill be adding/editing this when i get time and pc access (doing this on my phone currently) so bare with me untill its 100%.

This guide will probably be applicable for most nissan diffs. Always use jackstands and have a decent toolbox and a mate on hand. cold beers help to.

----diff removal----

jack the car up in the ass end, jackstands under the vehicle. get it up nice and high as you need all the room you can get. Drain the oil.

(pic)

Leaving the handbreak on, crack the tailshaft and half shaft bolts (14mm from memory) handbreak off, rotate tailshaft around and crack remaining bolts. lever the tailshaft away from the diff. use a prybar to do the same with the half shafts. should be left with something like this.

(pic)

Now at the back off the diff is two 17mm bolts. Crack these two, as well as the two 17mm nuts at the front of the diff. Grab a jack and slide it under the diff, as well as coaxing a strong mate under the car with promises of beer.

With the jack supporting the diff, remove the remaining bolts. prepare for some choice swearwords and some crushed fingers. and bingo. the diff is free of the car. high five your mate and drink a beer.

(pic)

----diff shimming----

Place the diff into a vice nose down. and remove the rear cover. (14mm bolts from memory) clean the gasket goo off. pop the half shafts out with a hammer and extension

(pic)

There are 4 17mm bolts holding the caps down. mark which one goes on which side. crack and remove the bolts/caps.

(pic)

Now the oh so fun bit. removing the centre. 9/10 times you get lucky, and using a prybar you can 'pop' it out using a prybar. if this doesnt work refer to further in the article for another method (ill write this up later as i need other photos)

(pic)

With the centre out its time to remove the ring gear, and split the centre so you can insert the shims, crack the 17mm bolts and remove them. i generally mark the outside of the crownwheel/centre so it all lines back up.

(pic)

Seperate the centre, here you'll see the old nissan shim. its up to you wether you leave this in and place a new shim on top. or turf it and use a new thicker shim. place the new shim in. and time for the fun bit.

(pic)

Place the centre back together. using the half shafts removed earlier, slot them in the centre to align all the splines. place the crownwheel into position. insert bolts and tension the assembly all together to nissan specs. ( ill update this with them later)

(pic)

Remove the half shafts and get ready to slot the centre back into the housing. this will be harder than removal due to the new shim you put in. with some cursing and'gentle' pursuading it should sit in. You may find you need to use the caps and bolts to kinda 'press' it in (sounds dodgy but cmon, your doing this in your backyard haha) tension end cap bolts to nissan specs, ensuring that the right caps are on the righ sides.

(pic)

With the centre in and tensioned. check your half shafts still slot in. you may have trouble due to the circlips spreading slightly. gasket goo the cover surface and refit. tension bolts down and clean up the remaining mess up. the freshly shimmed diffs ready to party and go back in, as per removal.

(pic)

Just remember to tension everything as it goes back in, refill the diff with decent grade oil. youll find with a 1.1mm shim on top of the old nissan one itll lock like a 2way.

Keep in mind. this is a work in progress. pics will be uploaded as well as tensions and such next weekend.

Did this to a mates r32 a couple of weekends ago. we dont have a whole heap of mechanical experience ( a 7mgte headgasket replacement the biggest job i have done).

Actually alot easier than we expected. We added i believe 2x1.01 and kept one of the two standard .08 shims. we did so my mate could take his car drifting at mallala, and it worked very well, laying down twinnies everywhere, it did get looser towards the end of the day though.

My Tips:

- Rattle Guns are awesome, if you have access to one then use it to undo everything you can

- Once you have put the shims in and are re assembling the diff centre, make sure you find a way of clamping down the diff centre to get those ten bolts tightened down enough, because if one comes loose say goodbye to your diff. ( we couldnt clamp it down so we tightened up a wheel nut with a particular setting on the rattle gun, then checked it with the torque wrench to make sure it has enough pressure, then we used the rattle gun and therefore didn't need to clamp it. Not the best way but we had no choice.)

- Put the car one jack stands and lower and raise the diff using the cars jack.

- You will need to use a hammer and a some sort of metal bar to get this apart, but try to minimise the times you have to, put some sort of rag over the end to soften the blows and don't use the teethed section to knock on.

Heres handy video of a r200 diff being put together, is quite useful to get an idea of how to get it apart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJU5NhR6Okk&feature=related

Use a press to squeeze the housing slightly to get the diff center in and out.

Edited by moggys13

Cheers guys. as i said ive got a little more to add to this yet but all good points.. i wrote it assuming people only had a very basic workshop at their disposal.

And cordless rattlegun on a job like this pays for itself haha

any one have the right torque specs handy ? i shall be doing this shortly and every where i have read they all just say tighten to spec, but no one has said what the specs are lol

Ring gear bolts 132-152nm

Bearing caps 88-98nm

Rear cover fixing bolts 39-49nm

These are from the nissan workshop manual.

Tom

cheers for chucking them up.

been to busy to take the pictures from my phone and upload them. once i do ill go through and add the extra info into the guide itself.

anyone reccomend a shop to shim my diff... or if i remove it anyone keen on doing it??

anyone reccomend a shop to shim my diff... or if i remove it anyone keen on doing it??

Dude if your going to pull it out yourself. You may as well shim it yourself.

Once you have it out it's fairly straight forward. You could have it all done in a few hours.

if your in SA im happy to do it.

if not, have a crack yourself... if you have the mechanical skills to pull the diff out shimming its not much harder.

not uploaded yet as ive had no pc access to do so and finish the guide off.

and shims can be bought in various sizes from nissan.

Ok sick I thought my iPad was playing up lol.

So you recon the 1.1 with existing shim for a 2 way LSD effect?

I used a .6 and a .8 and it's locked. It's been my daily since June last year too.

ive always used a .8 with the existing shim in place woth all the ones ive done.

never had a hassle yet.

any photos ????? keen as to do this as ill be swapping my sub frames over soon...... was contemplating just welding it but i figured id give this ago :P

im still computerless so no way to upload them yet.

and honestly if you have the know how to remove the subframe this will be a cake walk for you.

hey guys super newb question as i dont have a great understanding of these diffs, is it possible to shim both types of diffs helical and viscous??

you need to upload pics to this thread. either that or shim my spare diff for me?

I can walk you through shimming it dude.

Unforfuantly all the pics i took initially for this guide are gone.. might do yours and take some snaps.

scweeet, might need to rim shim my old one to, as i have no idea how long ago it was done. (hence why i want to have a spare shimmed diff on hand)

hey guys super newb question as i dont have a great understanding of these diffs, is it possible to shim both types of diffs helical and viscous??

I would like to know the definate answer to this also?? I have read both yes and no to the vlsd.

I would like to know the definate answer to this also?? I have read both yes and no to the vlsd.

i have never personally shimmed a VLSD, however i know people that say they have before as well...

yes it is possible, mine is

horrrible troll or the truth? Cant tell.

Sign in to follow this