Sign in to follow this  
pmod

Guide: Alternator pulley installation

When the alternator pulley removal process is raised, many people advise to wrap it in a rag or rubber belt, clamp it with vice grips, tighten the pulley belt, etc. If don't have a rattle gun and you can afford to remove it from the car, then there is a better way.

The outer coil and the inner rotor of an alternator are separate pieces, with the shaft the pulley bolts onto being joined with the rotor. All you have to do is disassemble it and stick it in a bigass vice.

7.jpg

Difficulty = 4

Where 10 is rebuilding an engine, and 0 is ripping a dry fart.

Time Required = 15 minutes + removal + installation

If painting the alternator, it will take a little longer. I painted mine a terracotta colour, as you do.

Tools Required

• Two small allen keys or rods
  • Bigass vice
  • Philips #1 screwdriver
  • 1/2" ratcket
  • 12, 14, 24mm socket

Process

Step 1. Remove the alternator from the car. Refer to the Service Manual if you're unsure of the process.

1.jpg

Step 2. Remove the outer four retention bolts, and gently tap the alternator to separate the rotor from the coil.

2.1.jpg

2.2.jpg

Step 3. Secure the fixed magnet of the rotor in a bigass vice with serrated plates. Use the least amount of force required to secure it, as too much can cause cracks.

3.1.jpg

3.2.jpg

3.3.jpg

Step 4. Remove the pulley with a socket driver, install the new one and torque to suit. With this method you have the option of using a torque wrench if desired.

4.jpg

Step 5. Select the coil housing and remove the rubber plug at the back.

5.1.jpg

Step 6. Flip the coil cover over and locate the brushes in the bottom. Depress the brushes using a small allen key (or similar), and hold in that position. Insert another allen key through the exposed hole on the back, and adjust the brushes until the allen key on the back slots through them (the brushes have a hole in them for this purpose).

6.1.jpg

6.2.jpg

6.3.jpg

6.4.jpg

Step 7. Put the alternator back together (taking care to align the mount tabs correctly) and bolt everything down. Be sure to gradually tighten all bolts equally as you go, then remove the allen key from the back once finished. Insert the rubber plug as best you can.

7.jpg

Step 8. Reinstall the alternator and back in the glory of your lighter, funkier pulley.

Edited by pmod

You can also crack the nut while its still on the car :)

Assuming you have a rattlegun, sure. Reinstallation will be harder though.

The methods people usually recommend didn't work in my case (seized nut), whereas this works 100% of the time. Hence my opinion that overall it's a better way.

Edited by pmod

I have always done it on the car cause you can tighten the belt for some level of grip. But as said if its seized then this write up helps. Great level of detail too mate good work.

Sign in to follow this