Sign in to follow this  
GFUNK

s13/s14/s15 How to change wheel bearings

Hi all

There's not much information about changing wheel bearings on here so I'm doing a write up. I'm not exactly an expert so if you think some of this information is inaccurate please let me know via PM and I'll fix the guide up.

So, for the basics...

Do I need to change my wheel bearing?

There are two main indications that your wheel bearing needs replacing

1. it's noisy, when driving you'll be able to hear it either clicking or whining

2. it has too much play, you can check this by jacking the car up and trying to move the wheel in an up/down motion, you'll be able to feel the wheel moves around a bit

I need a new wheel bearing, where do I get one?

S13 Front: rockauto.com you want a Timken bearing part number 510031

S14/S15 Front: For s14/s15's you can't replace the bearing itself you need the whole hub assembly! you can purchase a hub assembly from combear.com s15 is the magic word as they have no listing for s14

S13/S14/S15 rear: again you need a hub assembly. rockauto.com Timken part number 512014

Note on rockauto: The car type I selected was 1992 Nissan 240sx 2.4L DOHC

How to replace : the front wheel bearings (s14 and s15)

take your wheel off and using a chisel tap the hub cover loose & remove it

DSC00744.jpg

once the cover is loose, sides of the nut are bent inwards to hold it in place, bend them out a little using the chisel

DSC00745.jpg

using a rattle gun or extra large breaker bar, remove the nut. Once the nut is off you can slide the whole hub assembly off

DSC00747.jpg

old & new. buy new studs, s14/s15 are Nissan part number 43222-70T00 they are around $60 for 10

DSC00749.jpg

press your new studs in with the 20tonne press you have lying around. you can probably do this in a decent vice if you don't have a press.

DSC00763.jpg

grease the bearing

DSC00765.jpg

also tap this dust cover off and put it on the new hub assembly

DSC00767.jpg

its ready to go back on. do the nut up. S13 torque the nut to 147-216nM and replace the lock washer and split pin. S14/S15 torque nut to 206-275nm and tap the sides down again

DSC00771.jpg

you're done. put your wheel on and go for a test drive

DSC00775.jpg

S13..

For S13 hubs you only need to replace the bearing not the whole assembly, once you get the hub assembly off following the s14/s15 guide, use the press (or take it to a shop who can do this) press out the old bearing

IMG_20120917_200143.jpg

then press in the new bearing and grease it. look how ugly the old bearing is!

IMG_20120917_200154.jpg

Rear bearings:

you need to remove the whole knuckle&hub, Involves taking the driveshaft out, undoing all the suspension arms and using a ball joint separator to take the hub off the LCA. Sorry, when I did this job no photos were taken. Once the hub is removed take it to have the old hub assembly pressed out and the new one pressed in

IMG_20120522_184456.jpg

don't need to take the whole knuckle assembly off to do the rears. and shouldn't need to grease the fronts either

don't need to take the whole knuckle assembly off to do the rears. and shouldn't need to grease the fronts either

So if you undo the four bolts at the back of the knuckle the hub assembly comes off? thought that was the case

Sign in to follow this