Sign in to follow this  
98 Estima

How long does compliancing take?

Howdy all

Following the rules, I bought and shipped a vehicle and had it delivered to the importer/ compliancing yard April this year (2012).

I am still waiting for it to be complied.

The excuse has been that the department is taking their time.

The department will not reply to this argument, as they say the yard is their client and is thus covered by a confidentiality agreement.

Qld office of fairtrade found the scenario too hard and said they could not help.

At that time of import there would have been 4 workshops with evidence on this vehicle and could have quite easily done the job.

3 have since been sold or closed, one of the new owners says they might be able to do it in the near future ...

The yard where it is now, was chosen as being the closest/ easiest to access yard, (I'm 1300Km away)

I flew to Brisbane to see the vehicle back in August, to touch it, to see what state it was in and found it parked out the back in the rain (rusting).

The yard has offered in an email and in a phone call with the proprietor that the compliancing fee would be waived. And still I wait.

The vehicle cost me $900 in Japan, so I have spent about $4,500 so far getting it to the compliancers yard.

Other than extreme violence which I can do myself, who has ideas or people I can see to get my vehicle complied.

How can I force the yard?

Anyone know of cheap legal - maybe even a Barrister who is not a compliancing yard owner?

This is not a joke, its all true.

i've written the short version - if I expand too much, many of you in the industry will know who I am talking about.

I've basically been ringing them, first I waited about 4 weeks, then every other week I have rung.

In a single week I rang say it was a Tuesday morning at 9am to be told the manager/Owner was in a meeting, they took my number again and said they would get him to call me back.

I rang back at midday to be told he had gone for lunch, and i phoned again at 2pm to be told he had gone home.

The next day I did it all again with the same results.

If they were just upfront and said they don't want to do my vehicle - cool, I would have gone somewhere else

but this string me along BS is not good business in my mind

Someone must know a good lawyer.

Hey,

just a question : why not take it to another compliance workshop ?

what is the car ?

why call, if it has taken that long i would be heading down to the shop and not leaving until you had answers.

Hey Loz

At that time of import there would have been 4 workshops with evidence on this vehicle and could have quite easily done the job. 3 have since been sold or closed, one of the new owners says they might be able to do it in the near future ...

So Loz, I'm working on that, but these workshops all talk to each other / and or know what others are up to via other grapevines etc.

(I'm 1300Km away)
so it makes it hard to get down there. Of course they're playing on this too.

I did go

I flew to Brisbane to see the vehicle back in August, to touch it, to see what state it was in and found it parked out the back in the rain (rusting).

I really do want to know how long it takes on average everywhere else to have a car complied - this info can be used when I do meet a lawyer or someone who can do something

Hey mate, I would have to go though my paper work but from what i can remember it only took a couple weeks (three at most) from when my S15 landed on the docks here in Brisbane till being complied and ready for me to drive it to qld transport for it to be regod. If you want some more info feel free to drop me a PM.

The department has said to me that they try and get a vehicle through in 6 weeks.

6 weeks is what I thought it was when I bought the vehicle and started the process

I had read that if anything took 6 mths, then they must be doing a 'test' vehicle, brand new evidence and testing

He who did juciey said he could[back then] send evidence to another yard

for some reason this yard accepted my vehicle and then started telling me stories.

You can't tell me that not one vehicle has been processed at this yard from March to August and still now to November

Governments don't like being seen as forcing businesses to close,

I bought the model with Captains Chairs in the middle row and independent rear suspension.

The Tarago (Estima, Previa) was built like a car, not a truck. The Supercharged motor has oil squirters firing under the piston to remove heat and lubricate. Extractors are standard on the series, timing chain, clutch has a middle stage on mine all sorts of little goodies on one of the better built toyota's from the eighties. basic maintenance and you get 350K.

Email me the name of the workshop and I'll see what I can do.