Sign in to follow this  
loz

The New Silvia

Not sure what is affordable about the 86. on-road base model is 35K, GTS is 40 and you can whack on another 5k for the stupid body kit if you actually like it (although you'll probably just get the rocket bunny kit and TE37SLs like every other 86 owner wanting to be popular on the internet)

Its an exciting time for sports cars though. potential new silvia, new WRX soon, and hopefully within a year we know what the next 86 will be like (hopefully faster)

EDIT: should clarify that the 'affordability' thing, yeah its a cheap car, but the money doesnt buy you much, and the 35K model is pretty underequipped IMO, pushing you to the higher priced GTS.

Edited by Varvs

My money is on the idea that it will have a spruced up / larger capacity version of the 1.6T out of the new SSS Pulsar.

I am also guessing a different chassis.

They are showing off 2 cars at Tokyo Motor Show in 2 weeks : A smaller Z, and another car "to compete with BRZ/FRS"

1.8T again?

CA18DET reborn?

:hypo::naughty:

:sex:

Only a few days left till the big announcement, but the rumor mill is already kicking -Nissan will be bringing a new Zed and a new SILVIA to the Tokyo Motor Show this month.

Also it turns out Daimler Chrysler is getting in with Nissan and will produce a new chassis for the Skyline.

Exciting Stuff

I think Chrysler is in bed with Fiat these days, I think Fiat has a majority interest in Chrysler. I could be wrong though.

Anyway I hope it's Merc that Nissan are developing a new platform with because it would be a floppy old pig if it were with Chrysler.

My money is on the idea that it will have a spruced up / larger capacity version of the 1.6T out of the new SSS Pulsar.

I am also guessing a different chassis.

They are showing off 2 cars at Tokyo Motor Show in 2 weeks : A smaller Z, and another car "to compete with BRZ/FRS"

1.8T again?

CA18DET reborn?

:hypo::naughty:

:sex:

:hammer:

Not sure what is affordable about the 86. on-road base model is 35K, GTS is 40 and you can whack on another 5k for the stupid body kit if you actually like it (although you'll probably just get the rocket bunny kit and TE37SLs like every other 86 owner wanting to be popular on the internet)

Its an exciting time for sports cars though. potential new silvia, new WRX soon, and hopefully within a year we know what the next 86 will be like (hopefully faster)

EDIT: should clarify that the 'affordability' thing, yeah its a cheap car, but the money doesnt buy you much, and the 35K model is pretty underequipped IMO, pushing you to the higher priced GTS.

umm s15 came out at similar price range? every dog, slut, husband, hipster had one at brand new.. what was not affordable again? A GTR, Supra, NSX, top end sports cars.

you also dont get very much with a S15 but that didn't stop people spending the money when brand new, and again with the ZN6.. it works

s15

you still got a sr20det which is the same motor since 1989 from the s13, was refined but we all know its the same bloody thing give or take

you got real cheap interior, there is more plastic in this car then in a lego car, very cheap and tacky feeling. Funny enuogh the R35 GTR interior feels the same, with a few leather here and there, still not very eye pleasing to say the least.

poorly designed 6 speed gearbox

weak radiator

you got 90s technology, CD player/ air con, i think factory GPS was available in japan?

other then that its a S14 but looks different inside and out. and still made great sales across the world, again same goes with the ZN6

40k for a brand new (cheap) sports car is affordable.. the streets are flogged with the ZN6/BRZ everywhere.

Correct! And don't forget about inflation. Cars back then (like the S15) would cost much more than what the 86 offered now because the value of $$$ decreases every year due to inflation.

Days of the true performance car are gone :( , now manufacturers are designing a body shape to suit all buyers i.e. the Evolution 10, Ford Focus etc

Really disappointed with the new SSS turbo, its a 1.6T only putting out a pissweak 140kw? The Mazda MPS is putting out 190kw from its 2.3T, if only it was 4wd and not FWD.

Whatever Nissan bring out lets how its a true performance car (RWD) with a good performance engine and not some hairdresser's car with a turbo slapped on it like the Pulsar SSS.

Edited by NISSAN_200

Days of the true performance car are gone :( , now manufacturers are designing a body shape to suit all buyers i.e. the Evolution 10, Ford Focus etc

If you are talking about visual design, and shape of the car, there are so many standards that need to be put on cars today than what we had 20 years ago. Design rules and standards are enforced and revised for safety, ergonomics, ingress egress, and efficiency. There are hundreds of people in the OEM company putting the car together and they try their very best to cater the look and function of a car in the market (if it is too ugly, no one will buy and it will diminish their sales anyway). Hyundai and Kia are good examples in this case.

If performance in terms of bhp, and vehicle dynamics, there are more constraints coming into play nowadays with government legislations like emission control, sound/noise control, nvh, and being more green. IMO, the performance market which caters for us hasn't die, it just changed to cater for new generations. Whether or not we accept and learn, or stay where we are and reject, it's our own individual choice. :)

When is the tokyo motorshow? 24th? Sooo keen to see what theyve come up with

Yeah, that's already been posted a page back

I think he was more referring to the comment in the picture than the actual s chassis post

its only concept it'll be softened up allot for the production model i think, but i like where its going it isnt following the current trends too much its definitely exciting

I actually like them, the Freeflow actually looked a little like a mini charger from the front at first glance. It feels like they have tried to bring back the old Datsun style in a modern way.

I don't know if many people will agree but just watching that video pissed me off and made me realise the Nissan we like disappeared a long time ago. Listening to that French guy talk about two Renaults (let's cut the shit they're Renault now) just annoyed me. If I can understand what the man is saying without sub-titles then it means he's not Japanese, and that's not a good thing. Nissan have gone down the path of almost every other car manufacturer out there now and the 'motoring enthusiast' is something they no longer care about. It's no surprise as everyone now is listening to Justin POS beiber and enjoy skinny lattes and snapbacks in their prius' but it sucks major donkey balls. Why can't manufacturers bring even just a bit of feeling back? A bit of stiffness some feel through the steering wheel some noise coming out of the pipes? My mum owned a 120y and a turbo exa and loved them both, she now owns a Tiida and hates it and wishes she had my 180 instead. Cars are no longer made to be enjoyed. They are just made to move boring people as efficiently as possible and as quietly as possible whilst looking as 'stylish' as possible. Rant over.

Edited by Nizmoose

I don't know about that... I think you're just looking at the wrong cars... A Tiida isn't expected to be a car for a motoring enthusiast... It's designed as a car to "move boring people as efficiently as possible and as quiety as possible whilst looking as 'stylish' as possible" as you put it. Nissan has other cars in their line up that are more motoring enthusiast focused.

With other manufacturers, my last car was a MK5 GTI and it was brilliant... While no R32 or Golf R, it was still fun to drive, on the road and on the track.

Now I have a Wrangler and it has a different purpose, but I still enjoy driving it.

I don't know if many people will agree but just watching that video pissed me off and made me realise the Nissan we like disappeared a long time ago. Listening to that French guy talk about two Renaults (let's cut the shit they're Renault now) just annoyed me. If I can understand what the man is saying without sub-titles then it means he's not Japanese, and that's not a good thing. Nissan have gone down the path of almost every other car manufacturer out there now and the 'motoring enthusiast' is something they no longer care about. It's no surprise as everyone now is listening to Justin POS beiber and enjoy skinny lattes and snapbacks in their prius' but it sucks major donkey balls. Why can't manufacturers bring even just a bit of feeling back? A bit of stiffness some feel through the steering wheel some noise coming out of the pipes? My mum owned a 120y and a turbo exa and loved them both, she now owns a Tiida and hates it and wishes she had my 180 instead. Cars are no longer made to be enjoyed. They are just made to move boring people as efficiently as possible and as quietly as possible whilst looking as 'stylish' as possible. Rant over.

Nissan went broke doing what we want them to do.

And Nissan don't make money off us cheapskates buying second hand cars and spending the rest on after market parts.

Yeah don't get me wrong I know why they are doing what they are doing it just sucks and whilst there are still fun cars out there (take the gtr, any supercar, the golf as mentioned above or even a few fast hatches) they are becoming fewer and they'll more than likely disappear in a decade or so.

its not like manufacturers only just started making simple a to b cars they sold pulsars next to the silvias and skylines, I think there strategy will be to make a cheap simple base model to compete with the 86 and a much more expensive performance one

Of course not but if you think about it, before the gtr and after the s15 was a dead period for the small sports car with the exception of the z and I think after the 86/nissan equivalent gets old we'll stop seeing sports cars as much as my generation gets older, almost everyone at my uni doesn't have a car and most don't even like the idea of cars and I can't think of any that like the idea of drifting or driving quickly round a track or that even know how to drive manual. The look I get (especially considering I do environmental science) is pretty funny when someone finds out I have two cars and these are the potentially some of the people who might design the way we move in the future and at the very least will be the market that design is aimed at. Just like the video in this thread shows, target markets care more about denim seats and a weird HUD than a manual gear stick to their left and a quick drive through the hills.

That's true, most my friends are going through uni and believe car technology needs to become cleaner and quieter. Most of them cant drive manuals and just use public transport anyway. Most cant believe I have the number of cars I have and cant believe the money and effort I put into my 180. They don't understand why I would want to make my car louder, faster and lower. I even have friends who refuse to be driven in it because its a 'fast sports car' they believe its a 'hoons' car and it courses accidents on the road. To many people are following the modern environmental trend and also believe everything they watch on ACA. Now wonder the car scenes are slowly diminishing.

That's true, most my friends are going through uni and believe car technology needs to become cleaner and quieter. Most of them cant drive manuals and just use public transport anyway. Most cant believe I have the number of cars I have and cant believe the money and effort I put into my 180. They don't understand why I would want to make my car louder, faster and lower. I even have friends who refuse to be driven in it because its a 'fast sports car' they believe its a 'hoons' car and it courses accidents on the road. To many people are following the modern environmental trend and also believe everything they watch on ACA. Now wonder the car scenes are slowly diminishing.

Exactly. And I'm all for environmental improvement and there are many ways to do that and cars unfortunately will have to be part of the answer (we're going to run out of fuel eventually) and I hope they make a cool new sports car in the future but I don't know it will happen.

IMO the definition of motor enthusiast, and fun sport cars are defined by the past, current, and future generation of the people.

Imagine the things that we have now like smart phones, capacitive screens, quantum computers, gps systems etc. We accept them as necessity techs in life but that is not how the people 50 years ago see that. They may not accept the technology changes we have but they just have to deal with the change.

The same thing is happening now in the automotive industry. They are targeting the "young market" and we are getting older every day. These cars are not for us, instead it is for the young """"swag"""" :hammer: people we see on the street.

OEM developers do their extensive research and market clinic to make sure their target market accepts the visual and performance concept of the vehicle. Opinions from people like us are pretty much useless to them.

That's the reality of it. Either we accept the future and embrace it. Or we hate it and complain about it, like what the previous generation did to us.

IMO the definition of motor enthusiast, and fun sport cars are defined by the past, current, and future generation of the people.

Imagine the things that we have now like smart phones, capacitive screens, quantum computers, gps systems etc. We accept them as necessity techs in life but that is not how the people 50 years ago see that. They may not accept the technology changes we have but they just have to deal with the change.

The same thing is happening now in the automotive industry. They are targeting the "young market" and we are getting older every day. These cars are not for us, instead it is for the young """"swag"""" :hammer: people we see on the street.

OEM developers do their extensive research and market clinic to make sure their target market accepts the visual and performance concept of the vehicle. Opinions from people like us are pretty much useless to them.

That's the reality of it. Either we accept the future and embrace it. Or we hate it and complain about it, like what the previous generation did to us.

I'm going to hate it, not complained about it and build an s15 that a swag wouldn't like lol.