Sign in to follow this  
matausi

How to remove oil filter..

In all seriousness, this is my first SR. How do I get to the oil filter easily ?

qz3x0qa1.wxx.jpg

In this picture, its obviously underneath the intake and my arms aren't skinny enough to wriggle through for a nice easy clean job.

I can either remove the bolts on the red circle or blue circles that I see is easiest to get in..

Thanks for the help

4js0sth1.esd.jpg

that bracket also has a bolt behind the engine mount.

removing the red doover should do the trick

what is it in?

Just get one of those 3 prong claw rrmovers to get it started

No... Welcome to the wonderful world of the SR.. 3 prong remover and a short extension.

that bracket also has a bolt behind the engine mount.

removing the red doover should do the trick

what is it in?

Sorry could you clarify? The two blue bolts are connected to another as I saw, is this what you mean?

And do you mean remove the bolts and shuffle the red circle item around?

Also getting from underneath seems like a mission as i'm without proper stands and don't havea hoist available

If you're new to SRs I suggest taking a look at either a relocation kit or one of those drift oil filters with the nut on the end, they're life savers! I struggle getting the f**kers off

When u manage to remove it relocate it somewhere easier to get to at the same time.

the bracket with the 2 bolts has another behind the engine mount, down the bottom.

move the circled in red thingy out of the way

There are one of two ways to do this easily:

1. Remove the manifold support bracket as Bling suggested - three bolts total. You don't have to replace the bracket after changing the filter, if you don't want to.

2. Get a band type oil filter wrench, jack the front of the car, slip the wrench over the filter from below the engine near the oil pan, tighten the sh*t out of it, turn/reposition/turn/etc until the seal is broken, then get some fingers on it to remove. This is the type of filter I'm talking about:

Oil-Filter-Band-Wrench-sample.jpg

I have most of the types of filter wrenches out there, and imo this is the best one for the SR20, providing your aftermarket oil pan grants access. The stock one certainly does.

Edited by pmod

lol, how are you going to fit one of those filter wrenches in there?

You don't fit it in there... you slide it vertically up the side of the block, loop it over the filter and push it with your finger tips or a lever of choice whilst under the car. It's a tight fit, but it works and I've done it myself on a few occasions where even my grip strength wasn't enough to crack it. The range of motion is only a few centimeters, but a couple of 3cm rotations is more than enough to break the seal, and then you can spin it off by hand or whatever you feel like doing.

3 Prong filter claw, short extension, small ratchet.

do it up by hand so next time is easier.

Eat all your veggies, get big and stonk, then remove it.

A few ways to do it. The claw and short extension and shot ratchet. Push/pull really hard until you crap your dacks and break that god like seal. Or try the band style oil filter tool using similar procedure as the claw. Or a screw driver driven through it and make a mess.

Once you do get it off either relocate the filter or lube that o'ring up so it doesn't stick like a mofo.

Get the smallest 3 prong claw type ratchet attachment they have at the store because z442 z445 are a small filter, too small for some tools to grip.

snap on claw + mini extention + flexi head ratchet + skills. this is how i get my filters off SR's from the top. but maybe some of the other tools and methods work better for u. trial and error man. do it until you find a way best suited for you. good luck mate :thumb:

stand at the front of the car, adopt the position of getting a defect, reach down with your left hand to the filter wearing a washing up glove, undo the filter with all the manly twisting force you can muster. Put oil or anti sieze paste on the thread and seal of the next new oil filter you put on.

Head over to eBay and search for a "65mm 14 flute filter wrench 3/8 inch drive". The same filter is used on most Jap 4-cyl engines so you should get your moneys worth out of it. I have tried the multi-sized prong tools and compared to the special purpose tool they are crap, especially in the limited space around the SR20 oil filter.

That red circled thing is the boost pressure sensor for the pillar gauge. Remove the bolt and push it out of the way. May have to unclip the harness plug first, can't remember if that was necessary though but the boost line can stay connected. With the right tool you will now have plenty of room and access to get that filter out. I suggest packing some old rags under the filter to catch the 1/2 cup of oil that will spill when you crack the filter.

Tip, don't use the tool to tighen the new filter, human strength is enough. However if you have been hitting the roids and are afraid of overtightening, or your OCD prevents you from doing anything other than following the service manual to the letter; screw in by hand until a slight resistance is felt (the rubber seal just starts to contact the sealing surface) and then tighen exactly 2/3 of a turn (a drop of liquid paper on the tool is good for measuring this).

Remember if you go nuts the rubber seal will deform and it will leak. Also if you don't smear the rubber seal with oil it can grab and deform then leak.

Edited by stockblues15

Oil-Filter-Band-Wrench-sample.jpg

Absolutely love these wrenches, best thing for black tops from underneath, tried 3 other types before my neighbour lent me his

If you're new to SRs I suggest taking a look at either a relocation kit or one of those drift oil filters with the nut on the end, they're life savers! I struggle getting the f**kers off

This as well, after I got the stuck filter off that someone must have done up with a removal tool it was drift ones ever since.

1 handed tighten on and quick socket and ratchet off.

Edited by brent47

be prepared to have some major cuts on your arms lol

id think about investing in an oil filter relocation kit

I use one of these. But with the size of the oil filter though. Bad thing about this is it's only one size (obviously) lol

25401_2.jpg

Screwdriver + Hammer + sense of adventure

Tried it once, not a nice adventure since I only have one car and I need to get it running for work the next day...lol

Dont over tighten the oil filter that will solve half your problems. That way you only have to jam your arm down there once, be prepared for a couple of cuts its not a big deal. Forget a clean job just use carby spray and compressed air gun to clean any spilt oil away

If it's to tight to undo by hand , I use one of these...

Filter wrench.jpg

Works sweet for me, seems like Im always changing oil and filter on my SR too. bout every 6 weeks.

If it's to tight to undo by hand , I use one of these...

Filter wrench.jpg

Works sweet for me, seems like Im always changing oil and filter on my SR too. bout every 6 weeks.

Used to use one of these bad boys to hold the oil filter housing on the old Astras. They used to seize up and crack when you tried to loosen the cap off to take the cartridge filter out. Biggest PoS ever those cars.

lol astras. what were they thinking when they designed it? obdII plug under handbrake and to top that. ecu mounted in the bottom of the front bar.

I have a greddy oil filter relo kit for sale. Brand new and you could have it for $50! As mentioned above, screw driver and hammer from underneath.