Sign in to follow this  
brent47

All the big builds,where are they now?

Hey all,

The members rides section was going strong for a while but not alot of the good stuff is being updated anymore. Is there another site where Aus import threads are coming together these days?

Cheers

The thing is people building cars used to come here to find parts and trouble shoot issues, It's sad that Loz is just letting this site die a slow gargling death.

I didn't expect to, but I found some really good builds on the mighty car mods forums.

Not mental things, but sick restorations and stuff like that, I think because there's a lot of muricans and Europeans on there as well as Aussies.

little to no feedback here. or anywhere really. doubt i'll update the commodore build thread once i start working on it again.

also every bloke thinks their car is too good for xxxx website and create their own blog.

The reasons for lack of and no future potential:

1. This site is full of junk now, I left for a few months only to come back to the same bs questions being asked. Therefore a lot of genuine people just stay away now. I honestly can not believe now much of the same stuff is on. Same, same, same. That it's actually difficult to find go information other that, once again, asking the same thing over and over.

2. There's no middle band silvia (or imports in general) owners anymore. Either you have the poor 21 year old kid with a efed silvia that doesn't know anything (and posts stupid, already answered questions), or you have the dedicated owner that's only focused on cars and nothing much more (I'm not saying that's bad, it's your choice).

There's not middle people with a street mods and average skills that help out people on the side, and in turn teach each other. I was one of these and I've seen a lot of people flee from all import sites. I had a lot of mates that have "moved on" and I havn't heard of many people (aside from the 21yo clueless punters I mentioned before) moving into the import scene.

3. Which leads me to the last point, of the changing preference and laws. These days you can buy a "fast" car for cheap, unlike a few years ago where you had to build a car. What I mean is that a few years ago you would be a sports car and it wouldn't have for example the cool race buckets and good fitting rims. Now you can buy a hot hatch. Which are legal and hassle from (from the cops and maintenance).

So sites like the OzRenaultSport forum (or whatever it is) is actually growing. If you don't believe me, go a google analytics for the last 10 years on both. I can't teach you that coz it's not technically allowed haha.

But there are the 3 major reasons for the trends.

little to no feedback here. or anywhere really. doubt i'll update the commodore build thread once i start working on it again.

also every bloke thinks their car is too good for xxxx website and create their own blog.

f**k you man, you better update that build thread somewhere!

I just had a look on the MCM forums and Johno is right, there are some cool builds there. Just read a very depressing one. Basically guy had been building an epic sr20ve for his pulsar for a year (had it sent to sydney to be built), then continued slowly kept getting knocked back on places to get fab work and tuning done. Finally got somewhere to actually take the job on, was there for over year before it even had its first start when it became apparent that there was something wrong with the motor build. 5 mins of run time! Turns out the guy who did the motor build was dodge as. Off centre boring for sleeves, snapped or missing 10mm bolts all over the place, cracks in the block from the head studs. 3 years in the build and 5 minutes of run time.... I'd be out of cars then and there.

As said, most people just can't be f**ked to do build threads anymore.

I found it a chore to update mine on another forum, and even then, people would get the shits at the lack of progress.

PF has some decent builds, as does JNC.

nar i think it's still motivation... people are mostly happy to share their progress if they're motivated to do so... I'd be happy to share but... I can't be bothered? I just do it... I'm sure others are the same. If we were all sharing and enthusiastic and it was a big car circlejerk, like many other successful forums... then I'd probably be motivated to join in and I'd put in the effort.

taking photos of work in progress is pain in the arse ~_~

That's one of my main problems... I'd say "Yeah yeah, I'll take pics along the way." And then by the time I remember to grab the camera the job is done. Heh

PF has some decent builds, as does JNC.

These 2 were a decent look thanks mate, I signed up to sa aswell and that has been great with informative builds and thoroughly used tech section/classifieds.

Sd was decent actually but also has doubled builds from here and most just run into a lot of o/t chatter so subscribed to a couple and kept it at that for now.

I've had a couple suggestions of American Nissan forums and Zilvia so will check the out later today when iv got time to set up user names etc.

Thanks everyone for the help, appreciated

couple of good ones on JDMST as well.. hat said hey are all a bit quiet these days